Welcome to St. John’s Episcopal Church
Centered in Christ | Rooted in History | Compassion for All
Rev. Canon Lesley Hay, Priest in Charge
We are an active and historic community church, openly welcoming all who walk through our doors. We recognize each person as an individual sent by God who will enrich our lives. On Sundays, we come together as the people of God to celebrate the life and message of Christ. Our service is founded in the Anglican tradition and embraces the modern world. We hope you will honor us with a visit and we look forward to sharing God’s love with you.
August 14, 2022 Sermon
Let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus the pioneer and perfecter of our faith – Hebrews 11
Click here to view the sermon.
The sermon is also available for listening
We seek a Minister of Music who has a passion for music and a calling to lead and inspire congregation singing. Through music we seek to grow and mature spiritually as a congregation.
St. John’s church is an historic church that is extremely friendly and genuinely welcoming. We are a downtown, public-serving, mission-oriented church, and the oldest historic church in Havre de Grace. We are uplifted by the spirit in Word and music, prayer and acts of love. See our mission statement below.
- Lead the music program in a team effort with the priest-in-charge
- Provide organ music and accompaniments on our historic, refurbished Rodgers 3 manual pipe organ, some piano music, and inspire congregation singing during Sunday morning worship service of Holy Eucharist. Also, some seasonal services, e.g., at Christmas and Easter, and occasional services such as funerals and weddings
- Plan the music for Sunday worship & other special services in consultation with the priest, selecting music from the Hymnal 1982; Lift Every Voice & Sing II (African American hymnal); Wonder, Love & Praise (Hymnal Supplement); Taize chants; and other sources
- Attend meetings in preparation for seasonal worship services and leadership of the church’s music program
- Develop & rehearse a choir that enhances congregational singing and complements it with anthems and other special choral, instrumental music, and guest musicians
- A ¼-time position, 8-12 hours/week, with an estimated annual salary range of $10K-$13K
Compensation and benefits are in accord with Episcopal Diocesan rates. Please provide references for a background check. Diocesan Safeguard training is required & provided.
All applicants, please respond to this question: What role do you feel music can play in the spiritual growth of a community of faith?
Send Resume, References, & Response to:
The Rev. Canon Lesley Hay
Music Leadership Search Committee
St. John’s Episcopal Church
P.O Box 306
Havre de Grace, MD 21078